Public should call 211 to Report Damage to Homes

From Mark Bosma, Public Information Officer, Vermont Emergency Management

Those who suffered damage to their homes during this week’s floods should cal 211 to report that damage.  Those reports will be forwarded to FEMA to assist in its damage assessment to determine if Vermont qualifies for grants to homeowners.

 Homeowners can begin making repairs to their homes as soon as they are able.  Please take photos of your damage and keep all receipts for work performed.  You should also keep any hotel receipts or any other housing expenses incurred while you were displaced.

 FEMA inspectors are out in the field now assessing damage to homes.  However, if you have not called 211 it is not too late, Vermont is early in the relief process and you have time to report your damage.  211 is a reporting point only and new contact information will be provided to register once a declaration has been made.

 211 is now operating with a more call takers, if you get voice mail please leave a message and it will be returned in due course.  Please DO NOT call 211 for road conditions.  You can call 511 or go to for links to local and state road closures.  These maps are updated as soon as possible but repairs are constantly evolving so please be patient as the information could be out dated at any time.

 All Vermont towns are now accessible by road.  However, these roads are extremely rough so the public is asked to not visit flooded areas unless absolutely necessary.  Excess traffic will make permanent repairs take much longer.

 Vermont Emergency Management will operate its Emergency Operations Center at the FEMA offices in Burlington at least until the end of the week.


About vtlocalroads

The Vermont Local Roads Program at Saint Michael’s College is part of the Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP), a nationwide effort financed jointly by the Federal Highway Administration and individual State Departments of Transportation. Its purpose is to provide road and bridge know-how to municipal people involved with highways. There are LTAP Centers in 50 states and Puerto Rico and six Native American locations. Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations presented on this page are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of FHWA, VAOT or Saint Michael’s College. All references to proprietary items in this publication are not endorsements of any company or products. Sponsored by the Vermont Agency of Transportation, the Vermont Local Roads Program provides information, training and technical assistance to cities, towns and villages in Vermont. This is done by newsletters, seminars and workshops, distribution of publications and by response to requests.
This entry was posted in Emergency Management. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s